Fractionation of extracts
An extract of a medicinal herb contains tens of products. After efficient extraction, successful fractionation of the extract into homogenous groups of compounds is a crucial step on the path towards separation and purification of active/target compounds.
1. Fractionation by partitioning
– Based on partitioning with any organic solvent of your choice such as Hexane, methylene chloride (except n-butanol)
– Application: General purpose procedure
2. Fractionation using Diaion columns
– Diaion HP-20 is a Polyaromatic adsorbent resin for hydrophobic compounds: antibiotics, biomolecules, natural products fractionation (instead of n-butanol), removal of salt and simple sugars from marine samples and microbial natural products extracts.
– HP-20 has a large surface area and fine pore structures inside the particle-like activated carbon. For this porous characteristic, they can effectively adsorb organic compounds (such as small molecules) from aqueous solutions and can be eluted afterwards, gradiently, using organic solvents such as methanol.
– Available column specifications: DIAION HP-20 (Supelco), 6 x 100 cm glass column
– Application: Purification and concentration of organic/hydrophobic compounds from aqueous solutions
3. Fractionation using flash chromatography (reversed-phase or normal phase)
– By application of a cascade of solvents to your extract under high pressure using the device Puriflash. Read more
We can help you all the way till reaching your final purified compound…
Check out how we can help you to:
Evaporate your extracts
Purify your extracts